Today was extremely exhausting. We had our show and tell at our boy’s private Montessori school. The purpose of this was to get to understand what our boys are learning and how they’ve developed these past five months. Since Dylan is the second child, the teacher thought it was imperative to assign him first. His appointment was 10:40 a.m. for an hour. Then, Aiden had his at 1:00 p.m.
Dylan is improving in his language and motor skills development. I like how the program uses the power of play to incorporate techniques such as holding a pencil properly. Dylan was building these blocks for me from biggest to smallest, but they had to match it in order to be stacked up higher. The higher he went, the smaller the block gets and by getting smaller, it would eventually teach him to hold his pencil correctly. Then, he showed me the number system. He would trace the number with his fingers and then add the amount of beads to that number he just traced. Besides his short time of showing me what he was able to learn, I was shocked that he knew the five oceans.
Aiden is advancing faster than I ever would expect. I consider him a strategic person. Ever since he was 3, he was so good at playing video games even though he was limited to playing it at either his aunt meow’s house or at home. He was always a whiz at figuring out puzzle. And now he’s building his own Lego pieces together by reading the manual. At school, he was able to show me his reading, spelling, and math skills. Based on my observation of his schoolwork today, it made me realize why he does what he does. It’s the way the program taught him to think by utilizing the power of play. He incorporates what he learns in school and applies it to his every day life at home.
I spend a good amount of time with each of my boys by teaching them their Kumon books at home every week (probably 20 minutes a day a few times) and of course, i encourage reading (you should know why). However, I spend the majority of my time interacting and engaging in imaginative play with them because I believe this would prepare them for academic and social success. Play helps fosters healthy and social development and it will contribute to the literature of how my boys learn (in my opinion). I let them be kids. I’m not looking for them to be the top of their graduating class and to push them so hard – but rather guide them to make the right choices in life and be proud of the efforts they put into their work by gaining knowledge. Knowledge is the key - I don't care what pace they learn it as long as they eventually get it in the end.
As I sat to watch each of my boys today, I continue to feel blessed and thank the Lord for giving me such beautiful gifts in life. It almost made me cry to watch them because deep down inside I felt proud. I’m proud of my boys. I’m challenged as a mom in so many ways and I do try. I’m trying to give it my all. Believe it or not, it's evident in their actions that makes me know I'm doing just fine.
Love my boys. XOXO.
No comments:
Post a Comment