Monday, February 25, 2013

[day 3] building legos



(thank goodness for iphone pics)

My tummy was bothering me today, but I managed. Aiden came home from school and after he ate his food, he instantly wanted to work on his Lego. He asked me to watch him just in case he needed help. Of course, I couldn’t resist because I knew he needed me. I know there are days where I’m extremely exhausted and tell him to wait, but for the most part, I normally give in. I knew I had to do it for him because if I show that I care it only encourages him to thrive.

He never ceases to amaze me. We always worked on building Legos together, but for the first time ever, I asked him to try doing it on his own the other day. So far, so good – I taught him how to count the bricks and to match it up to what the page is showing. Once he’s done, I told him his piece should match the picture. I know Lego is designed to help a child’s intellect and creative skills. That’s what one of the things I love about it. It offers endless possibilities.

Anyways, I told Aiden today, if he is able to complete his Lego set, he would get rewarded. I’ll buy him another box to build and that totally sealed the deal. We had to rush to Target before dinner to pick him up a new box.  You can guess which one he wanted – STAR WARS. Oh, I always keep my promise, too.

On a side note, you’ll never see my kids in front of the television for more than an hour. They only time they’re allowed to watch is when we’re in the car and maybe if we have a movie night. They normally watch in the morning for about 30 minutes but that’s about it. I’m not a huge advocate of kids watching television because I believe playing and allowing a child to explore would only help them with their physical and social development as opposed to them being a couch potato. But, TV is a good thing for preschoolers who can learn the alphabets and other things – that’s why we play it in the car as their source of entertainment/escapism.

In the end, I always show my appreciation. We’re humans, we like to feel appreciated, too. So, I make sure my kids feel the same way and get the support when they ask for it or need it. 

Life is becoming more challenging every day. The more kids I have, the more challenges I’m faced with. I’m OK with it. I’ve chosen this life because I want it. I wouldn't trade it for the anything.. 

Love my boys. XOXO.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...